Mark A. Solomon is an insurance trial lawyer and the managing partner of Matthiesen, Wickert & Lehrer’s Austin, Texas branch office. Mark is licensed to practice law in Texas, Colorado, and Georgia. Mark’s practice focuses on complex property and casualty subrogation, workers’ compensation subrogation, and automobile subrogation.
Mark has a wealth of litigation and insurance claims experience. After nearly ten years of litigating with two of Houston’s premier litigation firms, Mark joined Farmers Insurance Group as a trial attorney, litigating a large docket of large loss commercial property claims, homeowners’ claims, and automobile liability losses. In 2016, he became Supervising Attorney at Farmers, managing a team of seven attorneys, paralegals, and collection specialists throughout the country. He specialized in litigating matters for the national property subrogation group.
Mark handles complex property and casualty subrogation along with workers’ compensation and automobile subrogation cases throughout Texas and across the country. Mark is a self-proclaimed perfectionist. His vast experience includes preparation and trial of cases in both state and federal court and his expertise in large, complex property subrogation losses provides welcome assistance to a burgeoning large loss property subrogation practice here at MWL.
Mark is a Longhorn and boasts an undergraduate degree from the University of Texas – Austin and graduated from South Texas College of Law in Houston, Texas. He is a welcome addition to the CE and subrogation training team at MWL and has for years conducted training and CE classes for subrogation professionals at Farmers and elsewhere. He is a long-time member of the National Association of Subrogation Professionals.
Mark believes strongly that “the person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.” With that attitude, he is a perfect fit at MWL.
Mark was born in Atlanta, Georgia and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico. In his free time, Mark enjoys spending time with his wife, Brennan, and their daughter, Sadie. He is an avid golfer and fisherman and enjoys attending Longhorn football games in the fall. Mark and his family enjoy traveling to new places and exploring the parks and green spaces throughout Austin. He is an avid gardener and tends to his diverse collection of plumeria plants he has collected, bred, and raised for the past ten years.
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, J.D., 2006
- Degree: Juris Doctor
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas, B.A., 2002
- Degree: Bachelor of Arts
- Major: Political Science
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court of Colorado
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP), Member
- American Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- Inland Marine Underwriters Association (IMUA), Associate Member
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM)
- Subrogating Texas Freeze Damage Claims – Claims Pages, November 22, 2021.
- Subrogating Freeze Damage When Texas Power Plants Are Not Dressed For Winter – Claims Journal, February 25, 2021.
- Subrogation 101 – November 2, 2022 – MWL webinar provided to public.
- Gravity’s Rainbow vs. Truffle Pigs: The Inevitability of Earnest Subrogation Investigation – September 15, 2022 – Webinar presented to The Institutes Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) Society.
- Ethics for Adjuster and Attorneys In The Claims Handling Process – April 28, 2022 – Seminar presented to the Denver Claims Association by with The Institute of Fire Science, in Denver.
- Recognizing Subrogation and Third-Party Liability – April 19, 2022 – Seminar at the Dallas Spring Seminar for the Dallas Claims Association, in Dallas.
- Waive Goodbye? Waiver of Subrogation in Construction Contracts – November 10, 2021 – Co-presented webinar at the 2021 NASP Annual Conference.
- Ethics for Adjusters & Attorneys In Claims Handling – October 27, 2021 – Live seminar “Lunch and Learn” co-presented with NEFCO Fire Investigations in Dallas, Texas.
- Texas Residential Construction Liability Act 101 – September 21, 2021 – MWL webinar presented to public.
- Ethics In Claims Handling Processes – September 2, 2021 – Seminar for Austin Claims Association.
- Subrogating National Disasters: The surfside Condo Collapse and Acts of God – August 5, 2021 – Webinar presented to The Institutes CPCU Society.
- Workers’ Compensation Subrogation – April 20, 2021 – Seminar presented to Dallas Claims Association in Dallas, Texas.
- Subrogation 101 – January 19, 2021 – Presented to the Colorado CPCU Chapter Meeting.
Where’s the Beef? Subrogating Livestock Vehicle Collisions – November 16, 2020 – Webinar presented at the 2020 NASP Annual Conference.
Where’s the Beef? Subrogating Livestock Claims – November 4, 2020 – Webinar to CLM 2020 Focus Cannabis, Environmental, Insurance Fraud, Property Subrogation Claims & Litigation Management Conference.
Ethics for Adjusters and Attorney in Claims Handling – September 16, 2020 – Webinar presented to Dallas Claims Association.
Ethics for Adjusters and Attorney in Claims Handling – January 1, 2020 – MWL webinar presented to public (896 Attended).
Ethics for Adjusters and Attorneys in Claims Handling – December 5, 2019 – Seminar presented to Austin Claims Association in Austin, Texas.
Ethics for Adjusters and Attorneys in Claims Handling – September 11, 2019 – Seminar presented to Houston Claims Association in Houston, Texas.