Lee R. Wickert is a senior associate attorney in our Austin, Texas branch office. Lee was located in in our Wisconsin office, but transferred to our Austin, Texas branch office when it was opened in May 2019. Lee’s practice focuses on insurance litigation, subrogation, workers’ compensation, health insurance and ERISA, automobile insurance, property and casualty, and insurance coverage. Lee is a graduate of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and obtained his law degree at Marquette Law School and his M.B.A. at Marquette University. Lee is licensed to practice in Texas and Wisconsin.
Lee is no stranger to the firm having worked for the firm since 2009, including three years as a research law clerk, and is already a prolific writer. He was a legal research assistant at Marquette University, creating class material for a Bankruptcy Law class, and contributing toward a law school textbook on bankruptcy. Lee is also co-author of “Fundamentals of Insurance Coverage in All 50 States – Sixth Edition”, published by Juris Publishing, Inc. in New York.
Lee previously worked for Governor Scott Walker, Office of Legal Counsel, where he served as legal liaison ensuring the compliance of new legislation with Wisconsin law and the Wisconsin Constitution. He has also been an analyst with AXA Advisors in Milwaukee and a credit operation specialist with Johnson Bank in Racine.
Lee is a former hockey goalie, played hockey for the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, and is the assistant coach for the Cedarburg High School varsity hockey team. When he isn’t drafting subrogation complaints, Lee enjoys weight-lifting, politics, scuba diving, downhill skiing, and playing board games with family and friends.
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, WI
- Juris Doctor and Master of Business Administration, May 2017
- Activities: Business Law Society, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Space Law
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Finance, May 2014
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP)
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM)
- Inland and Marine Underwriters Association (IMUA)
- Fundamentals of Insurance Coverage In All 50 States (Sixth Edition), National Treatise, Juris Publishing, Inc., New York, Updated Annually. ISBN: 978-1-57823-536-0, 2020.
- Subrogation, Common Failures, and Complex Causes for Frozen Pipe Claims – Claims Journal – July 6, 2022
- Insurance Coverage And The Subrogation Professional – Claims Pages, June 1, 2022.
- Kansas Court of Appeals Does About-Face Allowing Workers’ Compensation Against UM/UIM Policies – Claims Pages, May 3, 2022.
- Mandatory Auto Arbitration – Claims Pages, July 2, 2021.
- Faulty Hose Bibs One of Many Subrogation Opportunities from Record Freeze – Claims Journal, February 26, 2021.
- Record Cold And Snow In The South Will Lead To Many Subrogation Opportunities – Claims Pages, February 23, 2021 and Bestlawpros.com, February 23, 2021.
- Settling Subrogation Claims and the Dreaded Release – Claims Journal, January 5, 2021.
- Understanding Use Of Experts In Florida Subrogation Cases – Claims Pages, October 29, 2020.
Beware of the COVID-19 Statute of Limitations Trap– Claims Pages, June 1, 2020.
The Red Light Traffic Camera Controversy – Claims Pages, June 21, 2019.
The Blame Game: Understanding Exculpatory Agreements And Liability Waiver – Claims Pages, June 1, 2018.
Recovery of Sales Tax After Vehicle Total Loss – Claims Journal, August 6, 2015 – #1 most read article in 2015.
- SR-22 Subrogation – Recovering From Your Own Insured – November 10, 2021 – Webinar presented at the 2021 NASP Annual Conference.
- Texas Automobile Subrogation: The Nuts and Bolts – July 16, 2019 – MWL Webinar presented to the public.
Areas of PracticeAdmiralty, Maritime, and Jones Act Arbitration (Arb Forums, Auto, Property, Special, No-Fault, NY PIP) Arbitration Award Enforcement Automobile Collision, Med Pay and PIP Aviation Crashes Complex and Large Loss Property Construction Defect and Warranty Claims ERISA Benefits Litigation ERISA, Medicare Advantage, and Health Insurance Subrogation Explosion Cases Federal Tort Claims Act Fire & Casualty Large Loss Property Subrogation Fleet and Dealership Losses Garagekeepers, Garage Coverage, Loaner Vehicle, and Test Driver Health Insurance Lien Filings in Workers’ Compensation Claims Hospital and Healthcare Provider Lien Filing Inland and Ocean Marine Insurance Contribution and Equitable Indemnity Insurance Coverage Landlord/Tenant Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Mass Tort Multi-District Litigation and Class Action MCS-90 Natural Disaster, Flood, and Wildfire Subrogation No-Fault Priority of Payment Occupational Accident Plans Premises Liability Product Liability and Product Recall SR-22 Claims State, County, and Municipal Government Liability Structural Collapses and Failures Toxic Tort & Environmental Disaster Cleanup Trucking and Downtime Claims Uninsured Motorist / Underinsured Motorist Workers’ Compensation Subrogation
- Oklahoma Opens Door To Recovery Of Nurse Case Management Fees
- Marina Boat Storage Subrogation: Navigating Storage Agreement Exculpatory Clauses
- Illinois Legislature Battles Dog Discrimination
- Making Mountains Out Of Molehills: Nuclear Subrogation Demands in Small Claims
- Insurance Coverage And The Subrogation Professional