Gary L. Wickert is an insurance trial lawyer and partner with the law firm of Matthiesen, Wickert & Lehrer, S.C. Gary has 30 years of litigation experience and is regarded as one of the world’s leading experts on insurance subrogation. He is also the author of several subrogation books and legal treatises and is a national and international speaker and lecturer on subrogation and motivational topics. Gary is also a published commercial fiction author and a politician in Wisconsin, recently elected to and serving his sixth term as Supervisor in the Township of Cedarburg. After 15 years as the youngest managing partner in the history of the 30-lawyer Houston law firm of Hughes, Watters & Askanase, L.L.P., Gary returned to his native Wisconsin in 1998 and co-founded the subrogation firm of Matthiesen, Wickert & Lehrer, S.C. He oversees a National Subrogation Recovery Program which includes a network of nearly 285 contracted subrogation law firms in all 50 states, Mexico, Canada and the United Kingdom and boasts over $500 million in recoveries and credits for more than 250 insurance companies.
Licensed in both Texas and Wisconsin, Gary is double board-certified in both personal injury law and civil trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He is also dual board-certified as a Civil Trial Advocate and Civil Pretrial Practice Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA), for whom he has both written and graded the product liability questions contained on the NBTA national certification exam taken by trial lawyers around the country. For nearly 30 years, Gary has served as an expert witness and insurance consultant on subrogation and insurance related issues and has been consulted by insurance carriers, lawyers, and legislative bodies from several states. He is a licensed arbitrator and has attended more than 750 mediations in more than 30 different states. In 2011, he was consulted by the National Defense University (the premier center for Joint Professional Military Education (JPME) under the direction of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff) regarding the impact subrogation has on insurance rates and premiums, particularly involving Federal Employees Health Benefit Plans (FEHBP). He is a member of Claims Litigation Management (CLM). He is one of only a few lawyers to have ever represented a client before the U.S. Supreme Court on a subrogation issue, and was named as one of Law & Politics magazine’s Super Lawyers from 2005–2012, as well as one of Wisconsin’s Super Lawyers, Super Lawyers Magazine from 2005-2012. Gary also writes a monthly column for the Claims Journal Magazine entitled “The Road To Recovery.” Gary has held an AVVO rating of 10, the highest rating, since 2011.
Jacques v. Kalmar Industries, AB, 8 F.3d 272 (5th Cir. 1993).
Hix v. Guillot, 812 S.W.2d 400 (Tex. App.-Houston [14th Dist.] 1991).
General Elec. Co. v. Falcon Ridge Apartments, Joint Venture, 811 S.W. 2d 942 (Tex. 1991).
Falcon Ridge Apartments Joint Venture v. General Electric Co., 795 S.W.2d 21 (Tex. App. – Houston [1st Dist.] 1999).
Twin City Fire Ins. Co. v. Jones, 834 S.W.2d 114 (Tex. App.-Houston [1st Dist.] 1992).
Matter of Fields, 926 F.2d 501 (5th Cir. 1991).
Guillot v. Hix, 838 S.W.2d 230 (Tex. 1992).
Hartford Acc. & Indem. Co. v. Buckland, 882 S.W.2d 440 (Tex. App.- Dallas, 1994).
Houston Elec. Distributing Co., Inc. v. MBB Enterprises, 703 S.W.2d 206 (Tex. Civ. App. [14th Dist.] 1985).
Fortis Benefits v. Ford Motor Co., No. 05-0791 (Sup. Ct. of Tex. 2005) (Amicus Brief for NASP).
Petta v. ABC Insurance Co., 692 N.W.2d 639 (Wis. 2005).
South Texas College of Law, Houston, Texas, 1983, J.D.
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Honors: Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Law Review: South Texas Law Review, Editor
- Law Journal: South Texas Law Journal, Assistant Editor
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1980
- Master’s Studies – Criminal Law
University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, 1979, B.S.
Northwestern College, Watertown, Wisconsin, 1975
Lutheran Theological Studies – Pre-Seminary
Automobile Insurance Subrogation In All 50 States, National Treatise, Juris Publishing, Inc., New York, Updated Annually. ISBN: 978-1-57823-355-7, 2012.
Fundamentals of Insurance Coverage In All 50 States (Fourth Edition), National Treatise, Juris Publishing, Inc., New York, Updated Annually. ISBN: 978-1-57823-338-0, 2013.
Where’s the Beef? Subrogating Livestock/Vehicle Collisions In All 50 States, National Treatise, Matthiesen, Wickert & Lehrer, S.C., Hartford, Wisconsin, 2006
ERISA and Health Insurance Subrogation In All 50 States (Fifth Edition), National Treatise, Juris Publishing, Inc., New York, Updated Annually. ISBN: 978-1-57823-275-8, 2012.
Workers’ Compensation Subrogation In All 50 States (Fifth Edition), National Treatise, Juris Publishing, Inc., New York, Updated Annually. ISBN: 978-1-57823-363-2, 2012.
Dark Redemption, Commercial Historical Fiction Novel, Tudor Publishing – Best-Selling List in 1999, ISBN: 978-0936389707, 1999.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Association for Justice, 1983 – Present
- American Bar Association, 1983 – Present, Member
- Trial Lawyers Association, 1983 – Present, Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association, 1997 – 1998, Director
- Houston Bar Association, 1988 – 1992, Chair, Fee Dispute and Ethics Committee
- Houston Bar Association, Licensed Arbitrator
- American Arbitration Association, 1985 – 1990, Member
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP), 1999 – Present, Founding Member
- Property Loss Research Bureau (PLRB), 2000 – Present, Member
- National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC), Associate Member
- Better Business Bureau, Auto Line Member
- Republican Party of Ozaukee County, Sustaining Member
- Liability Insurance Research Bureau (LIRB), Member
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM), Member - 2010 - Present
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM) Workers' Comp Committee Co-Chair - 2013 - Present
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM) Subrogation Committee Co-Chair - 2013- Present
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM) Ajuster's Training Subcommittee Co-Chair - 2013 - Present