Matthiesen, Wickert & Lehrer, S.C. is a growing national subrogation and litigation firm with offices in Hartford, WI; New Orleans, LA; Santa Ana, CA; Austin, TX; Jacksonville, FL; and Greater Boston, MA. We seek an experienced and reliable Paralegal/Legal Assistant to join our Hingham, MA office.
This position is primarily an in-person role. Upon completion of training, the person who fills this position will be able to work remotely one day a week on a regular basis, as well as on an ad hoc basis in consultation with management. The bulk of the work for this position will be paralegal work. We anticipate that no more than 20% of the role’s day to day responsibilities will be administrative in nature.
Paralegal/Legal Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly with attorneys by conducting legal research, scheduling depositions and appointments, maintaining a detailed calendar, preparing drafts of discovery demands and responses, preparing for trial, preparing demand letters, as well as preparing drafts of other various legal documents;
- Documenting and understanding legal proceedings in state and federal courts, including utilization of PACER, ECF systems, and state and local e-filing systems (primarily in Massachusetts, New York, and/or Vermont);
- Converse directly with lawyers, clients, administrative staff, clerical personnel, courtroom staff members;
- Handle pre-suit auto subrogation cases nationwide;
- Proofread legal documents, such as briefs and pleadings;
- Maintain and organize electronic files; update files with case status and information; and
- Manage day-to-day operations of the branch office, including answering phones and handling mail.
Paralegal/Legal Assistant Requirements and Qualifications
Required Skills and Knowledge
- Must have previous law office or corporate legal department experience
- Must be able to handle deadlines and have a strong attention to detail
- Must be able to multi-task and work overtime as needed
- Reliable transportation. While not a common occurrence (approximately once a month or less), the candidate who fills this position may occasionally be called upon to travel to businesses or Courts within Massachusetts during normal working hours.
- Exceptional organizational and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Detail oriented, with an ability to review and summarize the pertinent details of large claim files.
- Computer skills, including word-processing programs, case management programs, timekeeping programs, and court filing. This job will require the regular use of Microsoft Office applications.
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Associate Degree in Paralegal Studies or another form of paralegal certification is a plus
- Knowledge of both Federal and State Court civil procedure and discovery standards is a strong plus, particularly the Federal system, and Massachusetts, New York, and/or Vermont state systems.
- Experience proofreading legal documents for consistency, grammar, typographical errors, appropriate citation format (bluebook), and conformity with local rules and style guides is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of mediation preparation and medical records review and summary is a strong plus
- Knowledge of Insurance Defense and/or resolution of Workers’ Compensation and Health subrogation liens (including liens for self-funded ERISA plans) a strong plus
- Being a notary, or a willingness to become a notary, is a plus
Salary is negotiable, health/dental insurance provided, 401(k) with employer match.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance