Stephen A. Smith is an insurance litigation attorney. His practice focuses on insurance litigation and subrogation, including automobile, property, and workers’ compensation, and product liability. Prior to MWL, Steve worked with J. Peterman Legal Group, Ltd. (f/k/a Blommer Peterman, S.C.) in Brookfield, Wisconsin. Steve attended Oklahoma City University School of Law, where he received his J.D., and the University of Oklahoma, where he received his B.A. in political science and minor in German. Steve also studied at International House LGS Sprachschule in Freiberg, Germany, where he received his Zertifikat Deutsch (ZD) for German proficiency.
Steve is licensed in and admitted to practice in Illinois, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, as well as all federal courts in Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana. He brings an unusual breadth and depth of multi-state litigation and subrogation experience to the MWL team. Steve was selected to the 2021, 2022, and 2023 Wisconsin Rising Stars list by the Wisconsin Super Lawyers Magazine, a prestigious distinction given only to the top 2.5% of lawyers in the State.
Steve’s time away from subrogation litigation and analysis includes spending time with friends and family. As a passionate Brewers and Oklahoma Sooners fan, Steve enjoys watching and attending sporting events, as well as golfing when the weather is nice. He is an avid reader and a self-described Tolkien enthusiast.
- Oklahoma City University School of Law, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Juris Doctor, May 2012
- Honors: Deans List Spring 2011 and 2012
- University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma, B.A., May 2009<
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: German
- International House LGS Sprachschule, Freiburg, Germany, 2008
- Honors: Zertifikat Deutsch (ZD) for German Proficiency
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Oklahoma
- Illinois State Bar
- Minnesota State Bar
- Wisconsin State Bar
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM), Member, 2015-Present
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP)
- Mixed Damages And Made Whole In Iowa: Unraveling Yarn To Effectuate Recovery – Claims Pages, January 9, 2023.
- Equitable Subrogation/Contribution Among Co-Insurers and Duct Tape – Claims Journal, January 28, 2019.
- Stay Sharp: Subrogation Should Not Be an Afterthought – May 18, 2023 – Seminar presented at CLM Work Comp, Casualty & Risk Management Conference in Chicago, Illinois. Co-presented with Curtis DeVries, Fraudsniffr.
- Automobile Insurance Subrogation In All 50 States – April 25, 2023 – MWL webinar presented to public.
- How to Win Litigation and Evaluate Attorney Performance (Part 2 of Property Subrogation Series) – December 7, 2022 – MWL webinar presented to public. Co-presented with Richard A. Schuster.
- Navigating No-Fault Benefits (Health Subrogation Series Part 7) – August 23, 2022 – MWL webinar presented to public. Co-presented with Nancy A. Case and Catherine Dowie.
- Winning Cases In The Most Important, Least Appreciated State – Discovery – November 10, 2021 – Co-presented webinar at 2021 NASP Annual Conference.
Changes to Michigan’s No-Fault Scheme – July 28, 2020 – Co-presented a MWL webinar for the public (505 Attendees).
The Unique Nature of Trucking Accident Evidence and Its Importance – October 29, 2019 – Seminar presented at 2019 Annual National Association of Subrogation Professionals (NASP) Conference in Washington, D.C.
Iowa Workers’ Compensation Subrogation: Simple Steps to Avoid Subrogation Traps – June 12, 2019 – MWL webinar presented to the public (208 Attendees).
Areas of PracticeAutomobile Collision, Med Pay and PIP Complex and Large Loss Property Federal Tort Claims Act Fire & Casualty Large Loss Property Subrogation Insurance Coverage Premises Liability Product Liability and Product Recall Workers’ Compensation Subrogation
- Illinois Court Latest to Signal that Covid-19 Virus Does Not Trigger Loss of Income Coverage Under CGL Policy
- Subrogating “Dog Fright” Cases
- Mixed Damages and Made Whole in Iowa: Unraveling Yarn to Effectuate Recovery
- Illinois Supreme Court Limits Tenant “Implied Coinsured” Fiction To Subrogation Cases
- Iowa Workers’ Compensation Subrogation: Simple Steps To Avoid Subrogation Traps