Sarah “Sally” Fry Bruch is a senior counsel and litigating attorney with the law firm Matthiesen Wickert & Lehrer, S.C. (MWL). Sally’s practice focuses on complex defense litigation as well as property and casualty, workers’ compensation, automobile, and property loss subrogation cases throughout Wisconsin and across the country. Sally is also experienced in defending insurance companies and their insureds in complex litigation involving property, personal injury, product liability, and toxic tort claims, and has defended numerous Wisconsin municipal government entities and their insurers in tort matters involving municipal immunity.
Sally has almost three decades of experience that includes preparation and trial of cases and appellate work in both state and federal court. She believes strongly in preparation to produce a quality written product and argument, that persuasively communicates the law and the facts, and creates a record in favor of the client’s position. She is counsel of record on several significant appellate decisions and is a co-author of “DRI Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Compendium – Wisconsin Chapter.” She is the author of many articles and publications for Wisconsin Defense Counsel, on topics including “Pay and Walk” clauses and the anonymous designation of plaintiffs in litigation.
Sally graduated from the University of Wisconsin – Madison with Academic Honors and received her Juris Doctor from Marquette Law School. She is a member of National Association of Subrogation Professional (NASP), The Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM) and is a long-time member of the Wisconsin Defense Counsel (WDC) and the Defense Research Institute (DRI). In 2009, Sally was selected as a Fellow with the Litigation Counsel of America trial lawyer honorary society, where she is currently a Senior Fellow and Barrister, Order of Juris.
In her free time, Sally enjoys traveling, reading, gardening, and spending time with her husband, Greg and their adult children. Sally believes in giving back to the community, having served on the board of directors for seven years for Prevent Blindness Wisconsin, a non-profit providing free vision screening for school-age children and seniors. She also served as a volunteer attorney coach in the State Bar of Wisconsin High School Mock Trial program for 5 years, and volunteered in the Boy Scouts of America, Troop 56 for 8 years.
- Marquette University Law School, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Juris Doctor, 1986
- University of Wisconsin – Madison – Bachelor of Science
- Honors: UW-Madison Sophomore Honors, College of Letters and Science
State Bar of Wisconsin, 1986
- U.S. District Court of Eastern of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court of Western of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- Claims Litigation Management (CLM), 2020-Present
- Defense Research Institute (DRI); Wisconsin Defense Counsel (WDC), 2003-Present
- Wisconsin Defense Counsel (WDC): Cyber Law and Technology Committee, 2017
- Prevent Blindness Wisconsin, Board of Directors, 2015-2022
- Litigation Counsel of America: Senior Fellow, 2009-Present
- Trial law Institute; Diversity Law Institute; Barrister, Order of Juris
- Delta Gamma Fraternity Milwaukee Alumni, Board of Directors, VP Foundation, 2013-Present
- Wisconsin Office of Lawyer Regulation (OLR) Dist. 2: Committee Appointment, 2011-Present
- Wisconsin Trust Account Foundation, Inc. (WisTAF): Member, Board of Directors, 2010-2013
- State Bar Diversity Outreach Committee (Chair, Co-Chair, Member), 2003-2012
- State Bar of Wisconsin High School Mock Trial, Attorney Coach: Pewaukee H.S., 2013-2016
- State Bar of Wisconsin High School Mock Trial, Attorney Coach: Brookfield East H.S., 2007-2011
Romero v. West Bend Mutual Insurance Co., 2016 WI App 59, 371 Wis.2d 478, 885, N.W.2nd. 591. Appellate Defense Decision. Successful appeal and defense of coverage for insurance client: Court of Appeals held that insurer did not owe policy limits under the Wisconsin Changes Endorsement to the Garage Coverage Form pursuant to Wisconsin agency law, and did not breach its duty to indemnify.
Cambier v. Integrity Mutual Insurance Co., 2007 WI App 200, 305 Wis.2d 337, 738 N.W. 2d 181 (cert. denied). Appellate Defense Decision. Successful appeal and defense of insurance client: Court of Appeals held that insurer did not owe full policy limits under Wisconsin’s valued policy statute, in first-party claim under homeowner policy.
Wayne Zierk, et al. v. Atlanta Casualty Co., et al., Kenosha County Case No. 02-CV-933 (2004). Defense Jury Verdict. Solo jury trial, defense verdict of $0 damages/30% liability for auto accident/personal injury.
Insurers Face Delicate COVID-19 Coverage Decisions – Claims Journal, April 29, 2020.
DRI Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Compendium – Wisconsin Chapter, Co-Author, 2017.
Expenses and Fees on Failure to Admit Under Wis. Stat. § 804.12(3) – Wisconsin Defense Journal, 2016.
Request To Admit Toxicology Reports and Blood Alcohol Concentration – Wisconsin Defense Journal, 2015.
The “Pay and Walk” Clause: An Overview – Wisconsin Defense Journal, 2012.
Anonymous Designation of a Plaintiff: An Overview – Wisconsin Defense Journal, 2011.
- Waive Goodbye? Waiver of Subrogation in Construction Contracts – November 10, 2021, Co-presented webinar at 2021 NASP Annual Conference.
Medicare from Start To Finish: Concerns for Plaintiff, Defense and Insurer, State Bar of Wisconsin 41st Annual Torts Update, CLE Panel Presenter, 2018.
“We’ve Got You Covered – Insurance Coverage In Wisconsin.” – “Coverage L – Business Liability Coverage for ‘Personal and Advertising Injury’ – When Is Misappropriation of A Business ‘Advertising Idea’ on The Web (or Elsewhere) Covered?” – Wisconsin State Bar Seminar, CLE Presenter, 2018.
Cyber Law: A Primer from the Roundtable, CLE Panel Presenter, Wisconsin Defense Counsel, Summer Conference, 2017.
Focus on Minority and Women Owned Law Firm, CLE Co-Chair, State Bar of Wisconsin Diversity Counsel Program, 2009.
Ethical Issues of Bias, CLE Subcommittee Chair, State Bar of Wisconsin Diversity Counsel Program, 2008.
E-Discovery, Practical Considerations, CLE Co-Author, Civil Trial Counsel of Wisconsin, Spring Conference, 2008.
The Challenges, Strategies and Ethics of Recruiting and Retaining a Diverse Workforce, Diversity Outreach Committee CLE Program Chair, State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Convention, 2006.